If you are a WhatsApp messaging app fan and like to have it on your Nexus 7 tablet, then I’m sure you will struggle to install it. The famous cross platform instant messaging app for smart phones doesn’t support tablets. Officially it can’t be installed on Google Nexus 7 2012 or 2013 models by Google Play store. This guide shows you how to install WhatsApp on Nexus 7 without SIM or rooting and activate it, so you can use it as using it in smartphone. Also, since Nexus 7 tablet can’t receive activation SMS, we need to use alternate method to activate WhatsApp on Nexus 7.
It’s always good to install non supported apps on the Nexus 7 device without rooting, because rooting of an Android tablet will spoil the warranty, support and may be harmful for your device. So, the method we are going to use here is, download the official APK file of WhatsApp and install it on Nexus 7. Your device should have been enabled to install 3rd party apps for this purpose, which mentioned in this guide. Do you know you can install WhatsApp on Windows 8.1/8 PC or Mac computers too? check this guide.
By using this method (without rooting) WhatsApp will not synchronize with your other devices and contacts. So, it will look like a fresh installation and you need to create contacts manually to be able to use.
What You Will Need?
1) A phone which can receive SMS
2) The App APK for Nexus 7
How to Install WhatsApp on Nexus 7 2012 or 2013 models
1) Make sure you have enabled 3rd party apps installation on the device, it can be done in security settings. Read our earlier guide to enable this feature. Without enabling this security settings, you can’t install apps by APK files.
2) Open the following URL from your Nexus 7 tablet, it will take you to download official APK of WhatsApp (The URL is case sensitive).
3) You can press Next to start the installation. You should see the home screen of the app without any issues after installation. It may throw few warnings or error messages because tablets are not supported currently, you can ignore them and install it.
4) There are few apps available to install on your tablet and receive activation code by using virtual telephone number, but that could be a long process. Instead of that you can use your other phone to receive activation code.
How To Activate WhatsApp On Nexus 7
5) You must have a working phone with you to receive SMS.
6) You should have working internet connection in your Nexus 7. During the activation process, it may detect your country and country code automatically. You should enter the phone number which is near you and ready to receive activation SMS code.
7) On next screen, it will try to receive SMS and activate automatically, but it will not work.
Wait for some time to see verification error message. By this time you should have received the verification SMS on your phone. Enter those 6 digits verification code as shown below.
If you are a fan of Talkray app, another famous instant messaging and calling app, read this guide about how to install it on PC.
As I said earlier, if the internet is available on Nexus 7 tablet, WhatsApp would be activated successfully. You can see the welcome screen and contacts on the tablet. You may need to create contacts on Nexus 7 tablet to use in WhatsApp if you do not have them already.
That’s it, you must have a working and activated WhatsApp on Nexus 7 2012 or 2013 tablet.